Contact Affect’s Code of Conduct team via firstname.lastname@example.org, text the number provided in our emails/opening slides, or find a Code of Conduct Coordinator in person.
All attendees, speakers, sponsors, and staff at Affect are required to adhere to the following code of conduct, whether they're at the conference venue or conference-related social events. Organizers and staff will enforce this code throughout the event.
This code of conduct and its related procedures may also apply to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of conference activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of Affect's participants.
At Affect, we ask that everyone:
- Exercise consideration and respect in speech and actions
- Be mindful of surroundings and fellow participants
- Flag unacceptable behavior
Affect staff will prioritize marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort.
Photo and recording policy
Affect has colored lanyards for everyone to indicate their comfort level with being photographed and/or recorded.
- Black lanyards: fine to photograph/record
- Yellow lanyards: please ask beforehand
- Red lanyards: do not photograph or record me
When in doubt, please ask before taking photographs or recording someone. This includes people who are not currently wearing lanyards. We ask that you refrain from flash photography, as people in our audience could be prone to photosensitivity.
Harassment is unacceptable within our community and includes, but is not limited to:
- Demeaning remarks related to gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, or religion
- Inappropriate photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks, presentations, or other events
- Unwelcome physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following (online or in person)
Sexually explicit or violent media in public spaces
- exceptions are allowed only if: the material is necessary to a presentation topic, attendees are warned in advance and given ample opportunity to leave, and permission has been granted in writing by conference organizers
If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, the conference organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the conference with no refund. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
No weapons are allowed at conference venues, including but not limited to explosives (including fireworks), guns, and large knives such as those used for hunting or display, as well as any other item used for the purpose of causing injury or harm to others. Anyone seen in possession of one of these items will be asked to leave immediately, and will only be allowed to return without the weapon.
Attendees are further expected to comply with all state and local laws on this matter.
Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential. You can send an email, text, or contact a member of conference staff in person. Conference staff will be identifiable via their STAFF badges.
Upon the participant's request, conference staff will be happy to help provide escorts, contact venue security or local law enforcement, or otherwise ensure their safety for the duration of the conference. We value your attendance.
This code of conduct was adapted on top of work from the Citizen Code of Conduct, Geek Feminism wiki, Coral Project, and Conference Code of Conduct. It is distributed under a Creative Commons SA license.
Last revision: January 3, 2018