Submit a talk
We’re calling for speakers!
As you might guess from our name, we look for stories and perspectives that affect us in some way, which could mean sharing personal experiences from working/designing in social change1 or challenging people’s current understanding about social issues.
We’re particularly interested in boosting underrepresented voices2 and you do not need to have previous experience speaking. Unfortunately, because of executive actions and travel uncertainties this year, speakers will need to be U.S. residents. Also, while previous speakers are welcome to submit, content selection will skew in favor of voices we haven’t yet highlighted.
The talk should be about 20 minutes long. You can submit multiple proposals, but each person is limited to one speaking slot. There will be twelve talks at Affect, with ten spots saved for submissions.
Need some inspiration?
Here are some things we’d love to hear about this year:
- Behind-the-scenes looks at campaigns, movements, or civic projects
- Independent projects & platforms that benefit a specific community
- Intersectional inclusion (e.g. recognizing and addressing anti-Blackness, avoiding disability objectification, accessibility accommodations)
- Stories of impactful online activism
What you’ll get
Speakers will receive reimbursement for travel to and from the conference plus up to three nights of hotel accommodation. If reimbursement is a hardship, we can assist with the booking process.
As a token of appreciation, speakers also get a $150 stipend.
Speaker submission deadline: April 7, 11:59pm PTSubmit now
- Underrepresented/marginalized groups include but aren’t limited to: those affected by race inequality, gender inequality, age inequality, disability/chronic illness, mental illness, neurodiversity, economic inequality, poverty, and/or religious bigotry.